Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

The Alice Network by Kate Quinn (read 9/29/19 to 10/6/19)

This is my selection for the Quarterly Book Exchange Facebook group I have joined.  There are 4 of us in a group, and we each select a book, then highlight mark, ask questions, make comments, etc. in it and then mail to another person in the group.  Eventually we read and comment on 4 books via mail, and our original book returns to us.  I think it will add a fun new element to the book reading experience.

This is the story of two women Eve and Charlie.  The book covers both WWI and WWII.  Charlie is looking for her cousin Rose after WWII ends.  And her hunt brings her to Eve's door, Eve was a spy in WWI, and is now a very damaged woman in a lot of ways.  The hunt for Rose takes them from London and into France.  As the story unfolds we learn more about Eve's past and how it effects Charlie's future.

This was a great book, I gave it 5 stars.  I wasn't sure I was going to like the timeline skipping, but I really did, it allowed both women's stories to unfold simultaneously.  The characters were really well written, I liked Charlie, but by the end of the book I love her.  We got to see her grow into such an amazing woman.  And Eve, oh where to start on Eve.  She was my favorite character, I love her attitude from the start.  I also really liked that this book is based on true event and true people, a little creative license was taken for story sake, but for the most part it was based on a real person, Louise de Bettignies, was really knows as the Queen of Spies in WWI.  And Quinn used a memoir by her 2nd in command to help write this book, even going so far as to use actual quotes by Louise.  Additionally there is an event near the end of the book, that was a real horrific act by the Germans, that I had no idea happened.  I love a book that entertains me with great story and characters but also teaches me about history.

No comments:

Post a Comment