Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Farah Rocks Fifth Grade (Read 10/7/19)

I received this book as an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC) through NetGalley. It will be published January 1, 2020

The main character is Farah Hajjar which is Arabic for Rocks. She is in 5th Grade. Her brother Samir is in kindergarten and has some disabilities, he was a preemie baby and that seems to have affected his speech. Allie Liu is Farah’s best friend and is Chinese.
Farah and Allie are applying to attend Magnet Academy, a special public school with a focus on math and science. Both the girls have been in advanced “gifted” classes since 2nd grade. There is a new girl on the bus Dana Denver, she is a transfer student from Texas, and she is really tall. The first time we meet her she is mean to Samir. Dana trips over Samir's feet getting on the bus, then he pulls her hair, I think because it is red and he meant to just stroke it. But this upsets Dana and the feud begins.
I really liked the way this book handled bullying. That it can be a quiet and subtle thing, not overt. I truly felt like it was written from a 9/10/11 year old’s perspective. My son is 10, and in fifth grade, and Farah’s decisions fall right in line with his decision-making patterns. I also liked that the characters had variety, Farah being Arabic, her best friend Chinese. It didn’t make race an issue but it acknowledged that sometimes if we look different than everyone else that we can get made fun of, or have problems related to that. It wasn’t “The Theme” of the book, but it was there as an undertone. I also think the idea that adults don’t take kids seriously or understand when they say something is wrong, is true. Kids get brushed aside, because it’s no big deal, but I liked how this book addressed that and said yes but keep trying, someone will eventually listen if you just give them a chance.

I had my 10-year old son read the book too. As a disclaimer, I bribed him with unlimited tablet time today if he read the book. It took him about an hour to read. I have never seen him read a book so fast.
Son’s Comments: The words sound weird to me when I pronounce them because they speak a different language. It was pretty good there were a lot of simile’s which I liked. The part where she purposely got bad grades was weird, when she wanted to protect her brother from Dana. Dana is going through a divorce. The story itself had a pretty good layout. I didn’t understand Arabic words. He thought Farah was pretty nice to protect Samir. It really stuck with him that Farah kept saying she was Samir’s hero.
He liked that Farah was in fifth grade because he is in fifth grade, and he liked that she stood up for her little brother. He said he would recommend it, it is a good book.



#FarahRocksFifthGrade #NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment