Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2019

A Sister’s Courage by Molly Green (Read 10/23/19 to 10/27/19)

I received this book as an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC) through NetGalley. It will be published November 28, 2019. Lorraine “Raine” Linfoot is the main character. Her mother, Simone is very French, her Father, Robert, who is older than Simone and English. She has two younger sisters, Suzanne (Suzy) and Veronique (Ronnie). This is described as being about the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA), which is the British Version of the WASPS. However, it is more about Raine and her love life than the ATA’s history. In 1936, at the age of 14 Raine flies for the first time, and it is then that she decides she will be a pilot. We see Raine achieve that dream and also get caught between her feelings for two very special pilots in her life.

I didn’t realize until I got to the end that this was the first in what I believe will be a trilogy, the 2nd book is due out May 2020 and is about Raines sister Suzy, called A Sister’s song. This was an ok book, it was more of a romance and less of a historical novel than I expected. Actually I felt like besides setting it wasn’t really about the ATA, it was about Raine’s love triangle.

I liked the strong character Raine is, she was not afraid to advocate for herself. In the WWII era, there was a lot of discrimination against women, especially in historically male work fields. She is a very strong character that way. I think that if I had realized it was more about the love story and not the history of the ATA I may have enjoyed the book more. It was well written, and there were some very well developed characters, I just wanted more history I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment