Pages

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Children and Trauma: A Parent's Guide to Helping Children Heal by Cynthia Monahon (Read 1/24/18 to 1/30/18) - 2 Stars

I had picked this book up, thinking it would help me help my children through the trauma of the divorce and all the ugliness before it.  But I felt that this was not the book I thought it was.  It said it was for parents of children who are traumatized by disasters, accidents, or violence.   So I was thinking my children seeing my Ex's abuse of me and destruction of our home, then his attack on my father constituted violence.  I wasn't wrong, but this is for children who are much more traumatized than mine.  It had some interesting insights and tips for helping children, but I felt like it was for parents who had truly been traumatized by horrific things and in comparison mine were just fine, healing quite nicely thank you.
I think that for what the book actually is, Monahon did a great job providing support, suggestions and tips for parents to help their children.  It was very comprehensive, with case examples, some of the case examples were really hard to read.  If your child has been in a hurricane, car accident, kidnapped, seen someone die, etc this is the book for you.  If your child is suffering from some lower-grade trauma, divorce, changing schools, death of a pet, well this may not be the book for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment