Pages

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Flinn (Read 1/20/18 to 1/21/18) - 4 star

This was a book from my #onceuponabookclubbox for January.  This book was marketed as "a twisty, powerful Hitchcockian thriller about an agoraphobic woman who believes she witnessed a crime in a neighboring house."  The story is told from the point of view of the main character, Anna Fox, a recluse in her New York City home, unable to venture outside.  Anna spends her days drinking wine, watching old movies, and spying on her neighbors.  Then the Russells move into the house across the way: a father, a mother, their teenage son, a seemingly perfect family.  But one night Anna sees something she shouldn't; and it leads to her world crumbling as reality meets the fiction she has created.
I was super excited when I saw the Gillian Flynn review on the cover. But I'm sad to say it doesn't live up to her writing.  If I was to compare it to anything, it would be The Girl on the Train.  Which I enjoyed greatly, so that is still high praise for this book, I was just hoping for a bit more I suppose.  I would, and in fact already have, recommend it to friends.  The story moves along nicely, the writing is good, and I really like Anna Fox.  She is a hot mess, but a likable and relatable hot mess.  I liked the mystery, it wasn't a completely new idea, but I enjoyed Flinn's spin on it.  The back story to Anna was pretty easy to decipher, I had it figured out by page 106.  The "villian" however did take me almost to the end of the book to figure out.  Overall this was a very enjoyable read, and I really wanted to find out who the killer or if there was one, it kept me turning pages fairly quickly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment