Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Raising Children with Grit by Laila Y. Sanguras (read 1/24/19 to 1/27/19)


This was a book from Early Reviewers. It grabbed me right from the intro.  “Grit is the combination of passion and perseverance.”  That is an amazing definition and exactly what I want to give my children’s.”  She goes on further to talk about studies and grit  and how grit can effect our children success more than anything.  ”That means that grit, a construct we can help our kids develop, has a greater impact on success than a fairly stable characteristic like IQ.” Wow, just wow.  Then I really knew I was going to find common ground with her because of this:  “If you love the notion recognizing faux achievements, then we should probably (respectfully) part ways because we are fundamentally so different that you will hat me by the end of the book.”  I fundamentally agree with her.
I am a fairly even mix between Authoritative (39%) and Authoritarian (35%) and I would say that is correct.  I try to be firm and “The Parent” but to allow for the ability to develop independence, granting greater freedoms the older they get.  I suspect the Authoritarian parts of my parenting style are what lead to some of the conflicts and issues with my children.  I’m also a free range parent, although I was under the misconception that it meant permissive.  It is described as “a common sense approach. Parents keep their children safe without protecting them too much from life.”  That is my exact goal and policy, although I don’t know that I am always successful at it.  I’m also a consultant parent, because I absolutely believe it is better for a child to make a mistake when the consequences are less than when they are an adult.
It is a small book, but packed with lots of helpful information and ideas.  I think this is one I will come back to time and time again for reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment