Pages

Monday, January 21, 2019

Bird Box by Josh Malerman (read 1/20/19)


So this has been on my TBR pile for a while, but it got moved up because of the Netflix movie release. I literally read this on one sitting.  This was so suspenseful and easy to read.  I had to know what happened to her housemates and if she made it to where she was going.  I could not find a stopping place. The writing was so fluid and vivid.  The details so sharp that even with the few given it creates an image that is intense and dark.  I really like the idea of limited imagery, because the characters are blindfolded, and really it much more visceral than that, and the writing invokes that darkness and suspense with an ease, I didn't find it scary, I found it thrilling.
** SPOILERS***
Watched the movie.  They changed so much, the way Malorie joins the house, who is in the house, her sisters name and death. The way she travels down the river. Although John Malcovich as Don/Douglas is amazing casting though, even better than I imagined.  They are on the River much longer than in the book too.
Malorie never would have made one of the kids look at the rapids, the one part where she had to pick the right river fork, she looked. Tom lived past the birth!  What?  Tom’s death so much more dramatic. The kids never disobeyed.  But the ending was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment