Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2020

The Haunting of Brynn Wilder by Wendy Webb (read10/14/20 to 10/17/20) - 3 star

I received this book as an Amazon Prime Early Reads. I was excited to read it because I had read and enjoyed two other Wendy Webb books:  The End of Temerence Dare and The Lady in the Lake, both of which had solid 3 stars from me.  Consistency is important. 
This book I was pleasantly surprised to find takes place in Wharton, the same town on Lake Superior’s shores as The Lady in the Lake.  And we got to revisit with some of the same characters, although if you haven’t read Lady in the Lake, it’s ok you will not be lost this is not a sequel.
Brynn Wilder comes to Wharton to escape an avalanche of loss in her life.  And she stays at boarding house for the summer where she meets the other long term boarders and quickly makes friends.  But there is a mystery afoot, over the winter a mysterious woman died in Room 5, and nobody knows who she was or how she got there.  Then Brynn starts dreaming of her.....
This wasn’t my favorite Wendy Webb book, it was again consistent writing. Her characters are well written and she develops the mystery well.  And the best part in my mind is that she actually resolves it in the final chapter.  However, I did not like the resolution, I felt it was a little too far out there.  If I was basing my rating on just how much I liked the story it would be a 2-star.  But her writing style and solidness of story and character development brought this book up to its 3-star rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment