Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur (read 4/4/19 to 4/4/19)

This was a BOTM read.  I do not like poetry.  It all feels too short, not matter the subject.  I feel like if I took snippets from letters and diary entries and put them in "poetry" format that I could have a book too.  The only poem I liked in the whole book was “The Vacation” on pg. 97.
So I already knew I wasn’t a big poetry fan, when this book was selected by the club.  I never have been.  Poetry rarely speaks to me like it does for some people.  I don’t have a favorite poem, and I don’t enjoy reading it.  I think that I always want there be more, more story, more something than poetry can give me.  Epic poems are better for me.  And this book did nothing to change that for me.  I thought this must have been a throw away book, published by an established writer and that it’s renown much be based on her reputation and not the book. But when I read that THIS was her first book and it is what earned her the renown, I literally threw up my hand and said I give up literary world.  In my mind, this book was not poetry, it was rants and soundbites.

No comments:

Post a Comment