Pages

Monday, February 20, 2017

2016 in Review Part 2


Part 2:

This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp (Listened to 10/21/16 to 10/22/16) - 4 Star

Wow that was powerful!  An hour of pure terror, heroism, and love.  It wasn't a condemnation of massacre shooters, it was about the ability of one person going above for another, and about humanity.  The motives are immaterial when faced with such a terrifying event the unity and connections formed are admirable.   Great writing I was really drawn in.

California by Edan Lepucki (Read 10/1/16 to 10/26/16) - 3 Star

I enjoyed the story, I am not sure I enjoyed the shifting point of views.   Both Frieda and Cal are sad different people from the way they view each other, but I suppose that is true of any relationship.  The book is super creepy, The Land is a cult.  I can't stand Frida though, she is stupid and blind, and the poster child for "the internet can only publish the truth" type person.    It was an ok read, wouldn't recommend though.

Bridget Jones Diary by Helen Fielding (Read 10/26/16 to 10/30/16) - 2 Star

Interesting that Colin firth playing Mr. Darcy in book is major crush of Bridget, and he played Mark Darcy in movie....hmmm  I know this is supposed to be a revamp of Pride and Prejudice, but I don't see it.  It totally reminded me of pre-married days.  I couldn't imagine living this way now.  I like the movie better.

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (Read 10/30/16 to 11/3/16) - 2 Star

I was bored, not sure as to why this book doesn't seem as fun as the movies.  Egads another book that I prefer the movie too.  The antics that are supposed to be amusing just aren't doing it for me.

Bridget Jones's Guide to Life by Helen Fielding (Read 11/3/16) - 1 Star

Cut little book, didn't add anything to the series.

Down the Rabbit Hole by Various Authors (Read 11/3/16 to 11/13/16) - 3 Star

This had 5 short stories:

Wonderment in Death I like it, I like the In Death series though, I like the futuristic twist to the detective stories.  The crime was a little predictable but  I still thought it was a fun little story.  I like the image of Alice at the "tea party."

Alice and the Earl in Wonderland  Another story that is from another series, so the characters were well developed, it was a bit of a teaser though, made me interested in reading the actual books,  so I guess it did its job.  It had a nice switch up of characters being pulled into future rather than the past.

iLove Our phones are the rabbit hole!  I loved the idea,  It was a cute little love story about appreciating each other.

A True Heart  IRS Revenue Office as lead character....so many things wrong that it made it really hard to focus on the story.

Fallen  very strange romance, the end seemed slapped together, like oops lets wrap this up.  It was ok for time travel, but I liked Alice and the Earl in Wonderland better.

The First Bad Man by Miranda July (Listened to 11/21/16 to 11/28/16) - 1 Star

Very strange story - the whole scenario seems off.  Cheryl is crazy and the way her inner dialogue works keeps it that way.  The whole book is crazy.  Who would give this crazy woman a baby?  I wasn't attracted to any of the characters, they are all creeps.

The Girl with No Past by Kathryn Croft (Listened to 11/29/16 to 12/1/6) - 4 Star

This was a good listen.  I really liked Leah and I was kept guessing until the very end as to what actually happened!

Only  a Promise by Mary Balough (Read 12/17/16 to 12/7/16) - 5 Star

OMG a romance book that I gave 5 stars to!  I really liked it.  I picked the book up based on a review that it wasn't your typically romance.  Sex doesn't fix the relationship issues, character growth does!  And the review was right.  The Characters weren't automatically in love because they had amazing sex.  Actually they had blah sex, which was appropriate for the story line.  I really liked it.

The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon (Read 12/8/16 to 12/10/16) - 4 Star

This was a fun supernatural mystery.  I saw part of the twists but not all.  The actual way it came about was unexpected.

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (Listened to 12/2/16 to 12/15/16) - 4 Star

This was a check out from the library because I liked the movie, it was sorta similar, but not really.  There was a lot more depth to the story than I expected.

Holidays on Ice by David Sendaris (Read 12/8/16 to 12/23/16) - 1 Star

This was awful.  The author was too sarcastic and down right cruel in my opinion.  I didn't have a single story I enjoyed.

After You by JoJo Moyes (Listened to 12/24/16 to 12/31/16) - 3 Star

This was an ok wrap up to the first one, it let us see what had become of Louisa, I thought it was good, but not as good as the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment