Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Ana Eva Mimi Adam by Marina Antropow Cramer (Read 1/9/20 to 1/12/20)

I received this book as an advanced reader copy from LibraryThing, it will be published February 13,2020.

This was a very short book for me, only 161 pages and yet it felt like it took forever to read.
This is a very dysfunctional family.  The story takes place at the end of Adam’s kindergarteners.  But there are a lot of flashbacks.  Anna’s husband died from cancer when Eva was 16, this event seems to have caused a trickle down effect.  Eva married Joe, and had Mimi.  Eva left Joe before Mimi was one.  There was some sort of incident with Eva and Mimi, where Eva beat Mimi once.  It takes most of the book to find out the detail and the premise is that this incident shaped the relationships of Ana, Eva and Mimi. 

I’m not sure how I feel about this one.  I mean it was good, but I also felt like there was no resolution, Eva and Mimi’s relationship wasn’t repaired.  They just were a little kinder at the end, maybe Cramer wanted to leave the reader to decide if the cracked door opened or not, but I felt unsatisfied at the ending.  This was a small book, and I kept reading because I kept hoping to see the relationship between Eva and Mimi repaired, but it never really happened.  I enjoyed the characters they were flawed, and I think if the book had been longer there could have been some real character growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment